According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), office ergonomics refers to the way a workplace’s design and layout suits the needs of the people who work there. Ergonomics is based on adjusting common workplace equipment and workstations in a way that makes them more comfortable and accessible, ideally allowing employees to improve their focus and reduce the mental and physical strain of their job.
# Poor Office Ergonomics May Result in:
- An increase in physical force required to perform a task.
- Uncomfortable and awkward postures.
- Repetitive strain on muscles of the neck, back and shoulders.
With the ongoing pandemic, workplace setup has become an extremely important factor for the commercial world as many people have been forced to work from home. In NYC, especially with the small apartments and lack of “elbow room”, turning your home into a comfortable office space can be quite challenging. So here are some points to keep in mind when you set up your workspace at your home.
# When Selecting a Chair, You Should Consider:
- At least 5 Casters (wheels) to create a stable base.
- The seat should be at a height where your thighs are parallel with the ground and your feet are flat on the floor.
- The backrest should be able to recline and have adjustable lumbar support.
- Armrests should be adjustable and at a height where your shoulders are relaxed.
# When Considering Monitor Placement, You Should Try:
- Tilting the screen back slightly (so the bottom is closer to you than the top).
- Making sure the top of the screen is at or below eye level.
- Placing the monitor an arm’s length away (~20″) to reduce strain on eyes.
#When Choosing a Desk, You Should Ensure:
- That you have plenty of legroom.
- That your elbows and underarms lie straight on the table and armrests.
- Also, feel free to try a standing desk! This will take an adjustment period to get used to, so if you try it, start by attempting ~30 mins/day at first and slowly work your way up.
The most important thing to remember when you work from home or in the office is that remaining in a prolonged position is not good, no matter how properly set up your position is! MOVEMENT IS VITAL. Finding time throughout your workday to do a little something will make an impactful difference in your overall health and, also boost your productivity.
Your local queens’ Physical Therapists at ProMet PT are Movement Specialists! We are willing to advise you on how to create the ideal work from home setup. We analyze your bodily needs and based on that, we teach you customized exercises to do at home. Most importantly, we can help you to feel and live your work from home experience in a better way. Give us a call to inquire more about us!