If you’re struggling with mobiity, gait Training can provide the therapeutic intervention you need to improve your stability and walking ability. When your body isn’t balanced and stable, you risk falling, which is also one of the main causes of injury in older adults. If you already have co-morbidities, a history of falls, or part-time injuries, you also risk complications or even fatality after a fall. Turning to gait and balance training in a rehabilitation setting can provide the relief you need for a wide range of conditions and needs. Here’s how to know if gait training and physical therapy are right for you:
What is Gait Training?
Gait training works by retraining your brain, muscles, and joints to help coordinate movements that are required for walking. Gait training can pair with other techniques like balance training, but it targets different areas of your body. Our team of physical therapists works to improve your walking pattern or gait, which can ultimately help restore balance, flexibility, and mobility. Our senior citizen clients find gait training helpful to remain independent, but it can also serve anyone dealing with post-surgery recovery, neurological conditions, sports injuries, and musculoskeletal problems.
Gait training does more than strengthen your weakened and compromised muscles that need more attention. Our team may recommend specific exercises for your core, legs, and hips. The goal is to work on exercises to correct gait patterns and issues such as shuffling. Depending on your goals and overall issue, our team may also recommend an assistance device to help improve your stability and walking.
What is Balance Training?
Balance is an integral part of your overall well-being and health but often goes overlooked until someone falls or sustains a physical or neurological issue. We help you reclaim your balance and maintain a straight, steady posture. The team at ProMet PT customizes therapy and care plans for all of our patients to help with your specific needs and goals. In combination with gait training, balance training helps you regain independence, flexibility, and mobility.
Why Choose Balance and Gait Training?
Are you uncertain if you would benefit from gait and balance training? Here are some conditions we help treat at ProMet PT:
- Fall Prevention: Older adults often struggle with falls and instability that can strip you of your autonomy and independence. Our tailored approach to gait and balance training can significantly improve your stability and help reduce the risk of falling and sustaining a more serious injury.
- Rehabilitation: If you’re currently dealing with an athletic injury, surgery, or neurological condition such as Parkinson’s disease, you may benefit from rehabilitation to help regain your balance and sense of well-being.
- Postural Correction: If you’re struggling with poor posture or musculoskeletal imbalances, you may need therapeutic balance training to find more relief and a sense of well-being.
- Better Athletic Performance: Are you an athlete that’s struggling to perform with a boost in agility, coordination, and overall physical ability? Our customized gait training plans help you tap into your peak performance and stay more competitive while learning to avoid and reduce injuries in your chosen sport.
- Improve Muscle Memory: Your medical practitioner may have suggested gait training to help improve muscle memory and build up more strength. Our team of physical therapists can assist with repetitive motion to improve your ability to stay balanced and move throughout your day safely while avoiding falls and injuries.
- Enhanced Quality of Life: Chronic conditions rapidly decrease mobility, balance, and flexibility. Talk to us about your condition and we’ll assess what’s going on and what type of therapy methodology can help you get back on track and enjoy a better quality of life.
Contact us today to discuss your unique struggles and issues. Our balance and gait training is also customizable to meet all of your needs, making it an important tool in rehabilitation, injury prevention, and physical performance improvement.
The ProMet Physical Therapy team offers a unique style with a common focus on YOU. Our treatment plans take into consideration every aspect of your condition, life, and goals to help you heal your body and mind, not just the area with the injury. We’re here to help you reconnect to the real you with a personalized approach to healing. Ready to take control of your recovery with balance and gait training? Call our locations at (718) 880-2385 or request an appointment here.